Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Training Day: Tuesday

It always surprises me to see so many white belts when I train on Tuesday nights. I have no idea how big the academy is growing. But it seems as if every week I train on Tuesday nights, I see 4-5 white belts I've never seen before.

More work from the back tonight. Rodrigo had us working turtle escapes from the front (cross grip. step up), the back (sameside grip, sit), and the side (far knee straightarm, sit and hook with sitting leg) and it was nice to train with Clint like back in the olden days. Good training partners are worth their weight in gold and I've been pretty lucky over the past several months to train and drill with a lot of good teammates who are also good training partners (not always one in the same, unfortunately).

Advanced training was good tonight. I got to roll with Benny, Clint and Rodrigo and it felt good to see some development along planned lines. I'd still like to see more movement from dominant positions on top (side control to mount, side control to knee on belly) from the top and more work on the Stomp Guard from 1/2. But there was a lot to like in tonight's effort, including the first effective hook sweep from Rap Star in what are literally months.

157.0 on the scale post-train.