Friday, August 06, 2010

Training Day: Friday

Friday's are a Fundamentals-based Live Training session. After a double warm-up of old school (running) and new school (1, 2, 3, 4, FIVE!), we went straight into mount/mount escape specific training and then some live, one-on-one training.

Biggest thing for me today was seeing how well my shoulder held up. Dealing with a triangle on Wednesday got it torqued in very much the same way that it got torqued at the end of my second match at the July Revolution, and I was curious how well I'd be able to train. I skipped the tempo training routine (explosive pushups) for this morning and may give it a shot as a makeup on Saturday given how well things went in training today.

Obviously, I'm also skipping my Atlas shoulder workout for today - hopefully picking that up tomorrow, as well. At the same time, I'm crediting my two and a half weeks of weight-lifting for helping avoid the worst of the potential damage to my (previously injured) right shoulder.

Technically, I fixed the issue with the handfight off the start. I was letting guys get far too much control over my legs (read: any) and guys were flying around the corner to pass my guard. Restoring that handfight alone has helped limit that game. It will be interesting to see how it goes tomorrow during competition training against more good guys.

Nothing tremendous sticks out from today's training. I had a few things I'd wanted to work on, but I don't think I really got to any of them. I'm trying to introduce a reverse sweep from the butterfly half (similar to the "kimura sweep"), as well as a fully-bodied belly flop into the deep half. But I'm finding it a little hard to get into the rhythm.

No big deal. But I've got to remind myself that now it the time to work on the new stuff and to fix the worst of the old stuff that's worth keeping. Hook half, deep half, east-to-west half, taking the back from side control ...

159.6 on the scale post-train.