Monday, January 03, 2011

People Get Ready

8 Weeks Out for Revolution 03/05/11 begins today.

Among the final days of 2010 were some the first, few days of full-fledged, sleep 'til 7 vacation I've had since the same time four years ago. Not yet the two weeks of pure "nao-falo-ingles" that me and Mrs Burien Top Team so richly deserve, but still enough to recharge the batteries in advance of what I expect to be a very productive 2011 on all fronts.

Training schedule as is below for the next three weeks.

Monday:

11:45 - 12:30 pm
Advanced

12:30 - 1:30 pm
Live Training

Tuesday:

am conditioning: explosive-repeat (Berardi)
skills: double leg takedown / crossbody 2 knee on belly

6 - 7 pm
Advanced

7 - 8 pm
Live Training

Wednesday:

6 - 7 pm
Advanced

7 - 8 pm
Live Training

Thursday:

am conditioning: threshold training (matwork)
skills: 1/2 guard agility / 1-on-1 passes from standing

Friday:

11:45 - 1:00 pm
Competition Training

Saturday:

11:00 - 1:00 pm

OR

am conditioning: cardiac output (LSD)

Sunday:

am conditioning: neural charge workout

Many of my jiu jitsu goals for 2011 are relatively pedestrian and obvious - and don't think for a moment that I'm beyond obsessing about them. But if there is one thing I want to accomplish this year, one thing I want to prioritize above everything else, it is to make real what I've been told by some of the most talented folks at GB Seattle over the past month or so, in particular

Of the many things for which I am guilty, "paying attention" is near the top of the list. And even in what I am sure were just off-hand remarks from some of the folks at GB Seattle whose jiu jitsu continues to astound me, were some straightforward, "Do This/Don't Do This" lessons that can help me get that much closer to being one of those producers of wonderment, awe and inspiration when it comes to BJJ. In some ways, I feel like this is the most important year for me in terms of building a foundation for a "black belt version" of myself - not just from a skills or accomplishment point of view (though, definitely that). But also from the point of view of discipline, attitude and habit.

About those pedestrians ... one simple goal is going to be to make weight before every training session from now until the Revolution. The 162 should not be a chore, especially if I'm on with my diet and training. But consistency is the uber-theme of 2011 - and 162 the mark, for the next nine weeks.