Thursday, January 27, 2011

Roger Gracie: The Difference

For me, its much more simple than everybody thinks. Maybe there are people that train more than me. Its not about the amount of training. I used to train at the academy together with about 100 other people and everybody used to train and learn the same techniques - training with the same people. I think its what you want in life.

Ive set a goal for myself that is very high. A lot of people set the goal that they want to be a world champion or they just want to be a good black belt or jiu jitsu fighter. I never had a doubt. I never thought I was going to be great... I told myself I want to be the best in the world. I don't want to be second best, I don't want to be just a world champion, I don't care about titles.... I don't care about anything else - I wont lose to anybody.

I used to train with people who beat me and I know that if I train hard, I will beat them. Over time, things just start to happen. It was nothing that I did that was special. There were probably a lot of people who trained harder than me that never got to my level. The only thing I can say about that is because that they didn't really want it. People say they do, but they don't really. I think that when you want something, everything is possible... It's not an easy path. You have to put in your mind, body and spirit in it...and that's what I did. I put my mind, body and spirit towards the goal.

This is why even now, I am 29 years old, I have fought in every world championship since I was 18 or 19. I have never stopped and told myself "I've accomplished enough" or "I'm going to train less." Every year since I was 17 years old I have been better. Even until now. It wasn't enough even when I was 24 and had been a black belt for 3 years. I am much better than I was at 24. Every year that comes by I am a better fighter.

I don't see that in other fighters. They become really good and then suddenly they start declining. You see them fighting every year and this year they were worse than last year and suddenly they are not winning anything. You see great fighters that win 1 or 2 world championships and then they disappear. You don't hear of them anymore... In their mind, they set their goals. They were really good and for 2 years straight and they beat everybody. Now they are happy and start doing something else. I never had that. Titles for me? They are nothing. They are medals that stay in your drawer....That's the difference.

Roger Gracie, as transcribed by Ralph Gracie Orange County's TrumpetDan