Friday, January 21, 2011

Winners Score First

Some interesting quantified data from Brandon Ruiz's Grappling Crossover website. I don't know how much this might translate into jiu jitsu. But to the extent that it encourages initiative and attack, it seems like a concept worth keeping in mind and putting to work on the mat.

Winning Wrestlers Score First
What I wanted to know from a statistical standpoint was whether something an old coach of mine told me was in fact rooted in truth or was just his mental psyching techniques.

Coach John Webb, former OSU, Weber State, and BYU coach told me once; “The man who scores first (gets the first take down or points) will win 70% of the time.”

While in college I didn’t think about it too much but as I matured and became a better student of the sport I couldn’t help but ask, “Is it true? And, If it is what does that mean?"